“People were yelling to get out. I ran and told my dad and we got out.”
A three-alarm fire sparked by a burning Christmas tree last night trapped several residents and sent eight people, including a baby, to hospitals, officials said.
Full story: The Journal News
Peterson ran out of the apartment and down the hallway to find another extinguisher.
"I was in the basement and I hear 'boom!'" he said.
Someone told him to call 911, which he did. He then went outisde and saw two people screaming at a third-floor window, overcome by blinding smoke that made it impossible to find the fire escape.....
"I just heard screaming," he said. "People were yelling to get out. I ran and told my dad and we got out."
There wasn't too much smoke in the hallway, he said, but at least a dozen people were running through the hallway along with the Gudinos trying to get out. He said he heard that people were trapped in the back portion of the third floor and that there was smoke blocking the stairs to get out.
"I was just so worried about my family getting out," he said of his parents, younger brother and sister. "I just tried to keep track of where they were. We ran out a back stairway."....
No Port Chester Building Department Personnel Went To The Hospital, Because Of This Fire.