Web Stats Provided By Google Analytics

The Port Chester Blog Of Record

The Port Chester Blog Of Record - Brain Harrod Editor / Publisher

Sunday, July 22, 2007

Archive 2007 July 15 - 21 Port Chester Diversions


BOOKS




by Cory


I have been reading the Autobiography of Horace Silver ‘Lets Get To Nitty Gritty.’ I’m about half way through the book and its a great read. A really honest account of a fascinating life led by one of the few musicians in his era that remained completely substance free. There are few great quotes and anecdotes that I thought that I would post here that made me chuckle and also a mention of the great Linton Garner:


Page 27


“I recall playing a dance gig in Port Chester, New York, when I was about sixteen years old. I played tenor, Keter Betts was on bass, Junebug Lindsey was on drums, and Linton Garner (Erroll’s brother) on piano. We had a ball that night. I was so thrilled to be playing a gig with Erroll Garner’s brother. Linton is a real fine pianist. He plays in his own style, not emulating his brother. As far as I know, he’s still on the planet. I ran into him several years ago. I hadn’t seen him since that night in Port Chester. We had a great get-together and talked a lot about Erroll. I was never influenced by Erroll’s playing style, but his genius always inspired me and still does.”......




No comments:

Go To The Port Chester Roundup Home Page

The Raw Port Chester Blog And RSS Feed

Most Popular Posts - Last Seven Days

Most Popular Posts - Last 30 Days

Most Popular Posts - All Time